Property Workshop is proudly reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small Amazon affiliate commission but this does not affect the price you pay. Learn more here.
Washable paints are essential for households with muddy paws, small sticky hands, or high-traffic areas that require frequent wipe-downs (e.g. kitchens and bathrooms).
As their name suggests, washable paints should clean effortlessly with just water and soap. However, with so many options available, how do you find the best washable paint for you?
In this guide, we’ve spent hours painting and testing the most popular washable paints. So read on to find your perfect washable paint.
What Makes Paint Washable?
With clever stain-resistant technology, washable paints are much more hardwearing than your standard emulsion.
Thanks to their durable formula, you can easily wipe away scuffs and marks without damaging your colour or finish. All you need is soap, water and a clean cloth!
Best Washable Paint Reviews – The UK’s Top 3 in 2022
When creating this shortlist of the best washable paints in the UK, we compared the following features:
- How easy the paint cleans with soap and water (aka ‘scrub-ability’)
- Colour range
- Size range
- General application and coverage
Starting with our overall top pick, below are the UK’s best three washable paints for 2022:
1. Dulux EasyCare Washable & Tough
- For interior walls and ceilings - free yourself from the worry that everyday living will damage the look of your home
- Capacity: 13m²/L per coat. This 2.5L can will cover 32.5m² with one coat (approx)
- Formulation that is 20x tougher than standard emulsion
- Thick and creamy consistency that is easy to apply
- Drying Time: 4 hours
First up is Dulux’s EasyCare Washable & Tough paint. Without a doubt, this is the best washable paint we tested. No other washable paint compares when it comes to ‘scrub-ability’.
Furthermore, Dulux boasts that their EasyCare range lasts up to four times longer than other washable paints on the UK market. During our tests, we found that no amount of scrubbing damages the colour or finish.
Dulux EasyCare Washable & Tough paint comes in a wide range of colours and finishes, so you’ll be sure to find a colour that matches your room’s decor.
|Highly scrubbable||Long drying time – it states 4 hours on the can, but we found it was more like 12 hours for the first coat|
|65 colours available|
|20 times tougher than standard Dulux Matt Emulsion|
2. Johnstone’s Washable Paint
- No home is immaculate - busy life means that sometimes spills, marks and stains on your walls can be difficult to avoid. With Johnstone's Washable Matt, wiping away mess on your walls has never been easier
- This specially formulated paint is highly tough and durable, making it ideal for use in those busy areas of the home where your walls will be protected against everyday's marks and spills
- The Matt Emulsion provides a smooth, rich and non-reflective finish, perfect for a contemporary look and to hide surface imperfections
- Paint suitable for interior walls and ceilings for your home, with emulsions specifically formulated for all rooms, including kitchens, bathrooms and other areas
- A unique, wide range of colours that have been specially selected from the latest interior design trends to give you a stand out look with real impact
In second place is Johnstone’s Washable Paint. This washable paint is a highly durable emulsion formulated to withstand stains and moisture – making it an excellent choice for kitchens and bathrooms.
Thanks to its water-based formula, this paint has low VOCs, making it perfect for homes with young children or poor ventilation.
We found this paint responded well to scrubbing with soap and water but was a little harder to clean when compared with the Dulux paint. Coverage is also lacking when compared with the Dulux product.
|Its hardwearing formula resists stains and moisture||The application is a bit messy. Difficult to achieve a smooth finish, even with a roller|
|Low VOCs, thanks to its water-based formula||Not the best for cleaning|
|Quick-drying time – around 4 hours||Average coverage|
|31 colours in the range|
3. Crown EasyClean
- Easyclean has been independently tested* against our main competitor products and is shown to be the best for stain & scrub resistance, toughness and washability
- Easyclean keeps walls, ceilings, wood and metal looking cleaner for longer, making it perfect for busy family homes
Crown EasyClean comes in third place in our best washable paints round-up.
Almost half the stains we applied left a mark, even when immediately washed away. Plus, there were obvious signs of dulling around scuff marks, and touch-ups were noticeable.
On the positive side, the colour range is stunning, and this paint looks fantastic in lower-traffic areas or rooms that don’t require as much wiping down.
|A stunning range of 32 colours||Not stain-resistant as stated|
|Lasting durability after being wiped over||Dulls when scuffed|
|Patchy when touched-up|
Best Washable Paint – 2022 Comparison Table
|Paint||Dulux Easycare Washable & Tough||Johnstone’s Washable Paint||Crown EasyClean|
|Colour Range||65 colours||31 colours||32 colours|
|Durability||Excellent durability – Dulux claims 20x tougher than standard emulsion||Very durable||Scuffs & dulls quite quickly|
|How easy is it to clean?||Very – soap & water removed everything we threw at it||Great, removes most stains with soap & water||Not as stain-resistant as it claims|
|General coverage & application||It applies nicely but is slow to dry – around 12 hours for the first coat||It can be challenging to achieve a smooth finish – even with a roller||It goes on smooth and dries quickly|
|Rating out of 10||9.5/10||8.5/10||7/10|
Final Thoughts – Best Washable Paint
Hands down, we think Dulux’s EasyCare Washable & Tough is the best washable paint on the UK market. With a wide range of 65 colours, there’s sure to be the perfect colour for you.
With Dulux’s unique formula, making it 4x more durable than other washable paints, you can be confident that your colour and finish will stand the test of time.